Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thanksgiving Turkey Smoke Prep 1

Went out and bought the turkey for thanksgiving.  I wanted to make sure that I had enough time to :

Defrost (Tonight)
Brine Overnight (Monday -> Tuesday)
Rub Down + Rest (Tuesday)
Smoke Overnight (Wednesday -> Thursday)

Now that I have my plan down, I am all ready to Smoke the T-day Turkey.
I ended up getting a 14.1 pound turkey because that is the "maximum safe weight" so that during the smoke I don't food poison the family and friends that are coming over.

The part that I am not liking about the defrosting of the turkey, is that I don't have anything big enough to soak the whole frozen bird in.  I'm defrosting it in the Fridge to make sure it stays cold enough to thwart any bacteriological beasties.
Hopefully when it is thawed and I move on to brine it, it will be able to distort enough to fit into my Large Pot aka "The Cauldron."

No comments:

Post a Comment