Friday, November 19, 2010

Turkey Smoke Success!!!

Yesterday I got the chance to smoke the turkey.  Mixed up a nice spicy rub (basically the same one from the ribs but sans sugar).  Rubbed it on and threw it on the smoker.  I used hardwood lump charcoal and it was a little difficult to maintain temperature so after three and half hours, I was sick of opening caps and closing holes, so I used what I am going to call the Ohio Crutch (kinda like the Texas Crutch but you use the oven at a hotter temperature).

The Ohio Crutch is:
1. Preheat the oven to 300 (I would have done 225 and kept it low and slow, but it was getting late and I was Hungry.)
2. Wrap the bird in Foil.
3. Stick it in until it reaches a safe temp.
4. Eat that Turkey.

IT WAS DELICIOUS!!!

I highly recommend smoking a turkey, just make sure that you have enough time to prep it (2 days), let it sit out of the oven (30 mins) and keep it low and slow (30-40 mins per pound).  Although, I don't see how it could have tasted better if I would have kept it low and slow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment